Just like mom makes.
Prepare the cold ingredients and marinade. As long as you have a combination of protein and crunch, then acid and salt for the sauce, I say you just wing it.
Here’s what I used:
- Chicken (pulled from a pre-roasted chicken – it is the laze of days for a reason..)
- English cucumber
- Garlic (coarsely chopped)
- Cleaned and blanched Enoki mushrooms
- Splash of Mirin
- 2-3 tablespoons of rice vinegar or regular clear vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
Feel free to adjust the above measurements. I usually taste as I go.
Once everything dry is chopped up, mix it all together and let it sit in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
Prepare your noodles al dente. Either thick Chinese style noodles, soba noodles or fettuccini pasta will work. Once the noodles are done, rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking. Remove the pot from the heat and coat with about two tablespoons of sesame oil. Once the oil is warmed and the pot has decreased in temperature, pour the noodles back in and toss with the oil and a teaspoon of salt.
Plate the noodles, then pour your mixture on top. Now, eat.